This Pongal relish your taste buds with Ven Pongal at Grand Mercure Bangalore.
1/2 cup moong dal (split green gram) 1 cup raw rice (chawal) 1/2 cup milk 3 tbsp ghee 1 tsp black peppercorns (kalimirch) 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera) 2 tbsp broken cashewnuts (kaju) 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger (adrak) salt to taste a few curry leaves (kadi patta) 1 tbsp ghee for serving
* Heat a pan; add the moong dal and dry roast on a medium flame till the raw smell disappears, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
* Clean and wash the rice, drain and add the, milk and 3 cups of water, mix well and pressure cook for 5 to 6 whistles or till the rice and dal become soft. Keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
* Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
* Heat 2 tbsp of ghee in a pan, add the peppercorns, cumin seeds, cashewnuts and ginger, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds, while stirring continuously.
* Add the cooked rice and dal mixture, salt and curry leaves, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring continuously. Serve hot topped with 1 tbsp of ghee